Does this sound like you?
You are a prolific scientist that cares about energy equity. When evaluating a problem, you actively seek multiple approaches to maximize results. You have the ability to think independently from the team but collaborate when necessary. Data drives your curiosity to learn from experimentation to reach R&D goals.
If it does…
Conamix is looking to add a Senior Research Scientist with an electrolyte formulation focus to its team of core technology leaders. This position will innovate and execute in the field of electrochemistry for the research and development of lithium ion batteries, consistent with company goals and strategy. This person will solve complex technical problems through innovation and rigorous R&D execution. This position is based in Ithaca, NY, a small cosmopolitan known for its beautiful gorges and waterfalls, and is home to Cornell University and Ithaca College.
- Responsible for formulation, synthesis, and testing of advanced electrolytes, including solid state, liquid, and gel, in collaboration with a multidisciplinary team developing next generation lithium batteries and materials
- Proactive and independent project management -- Technical workstream planning, execution using internal and external resources, and communication of results
- Positive guidance and mentoring of technical staff while maintaining a high-performance team environment.
- Design experiments based on physical chemical principles, literature review, consultation with scientific advisors, and prior results.
- Analysis of materials using characterization equipment internally and in shared facilities
- Maintain an understanding of outside published scientific work relevant to core Conamix efforts and communication of results to the team as needed
- Assist in IP searching, patent application, and grant application preparation as needed
- Accountable for maintenance of chemical MSDS, safe chemical storage and waste, documentation of SOPs, and necessary communications with EH&S.
- Follow all company protocols related to confidentiality, assignment of inventions, and other policies.
- Be aware of and comply with local, state, and federal laboratory safety regulations.
- Ensure equipment is maintained in safe and clean conditions
- Other duties as identified or assigned
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Education and Experience:
- Ph.D. with 5-10 years of experience in electrochemical energy storage research. Ideal candidate will have experience connecting electrochemical data to materials, Li cell design, failure modes, and microstructure.
- Demonstrated strong technical leadership and interpersonal skills.
- Expertise with electrochemistry and Li-battery technology (cell fabrication, characterization, cycling equipment, air-sensitive components, etc.)
- Hands-on experience evaluating and developing new materials in a lab setting.
- Experience with a broad range of electrolytes and anode materials (e.g. Li alloys) and expertise in electrode-electrolyte interfaces.
- Ability to design efficient test methods for reduced learning cycle time (e.g. statistical and design of experiments approaches)
- Experience and capability to present results and communicate professionally.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to execute multiple projects and solve problems in a fast-paced start-up environment
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Successful grant identification and grant writing experience are preferred but not required.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
- Experience managing projects composed of internal and external team members preferred.
- Generous paid time off package
- Health, life, dental, and vision insurance plans
- Employee Assistance Program
- Stock option incentives
- 401(k) plan
- Flexible work schedules
- Workplace perks such as snacks, coffee, foosball, & merit badge program
Conamix is a team of work-hardened battery experts transforming sulfur cathodes from the out-of-reach holy-grail of lithium ion batteries into a global product with the energy, power, and cycle life demanded by the EV revolution. The company is using multiple breakthroughs in material science to unlock the potential of sulfur as an ultra-low-cost cathode for lithium ion batteries. Conamix has world class management, successful board members, and best-in-class investors.
Conamix promotes a collaborative life-long learning mindset in a space where everyone cares deeply and works extremely hard to achieve technical excellence. Our company values healthy work-life balance, professional and personal development, and data-driven R&D.
About Ithaca, NY:
Ithaca is a beautiful year-round travel destination situated in the heart of the Finger Lakes wine country. It is a quaint city nestled on the southern tip of Cayuga lake. Ithaca is known for its diverse cultural life enriched in the sciences and arts. In addition, it is renowned for its natural beauty.
Conamix, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We are dedicated to building an inclusive and diverse workforce. All employment is decided on the basis of knowledge, skills, abilities and business need.