Conamix, a fast moving, venture backed company developing advanced materials for lithium batteries, is adding key members to its scientific staff. The company has experienced management, industry expert board members, and professional investors. The Senior Research Scientist is a key hire who will work closely with the company’s senior leadership and will be responsible for direct management of R&D staff. This position is based in Ithaca, NY, a quaint city known for its beautiful gorges and waterfalls and as home of Cornell University.
The new hire will be a chemist with proven ability to innovate and execute the design and synthesis of new materials. Career experience developing materials for use in batteries or related energy storage applications is strongly preferred. Candidate must have a track record of solving difficult technical problems through the design and synthesis of new materials in an industrial R&D setting. This position will require both lab work and supervision of direct reports up to PhD level. This position will report to the Vice President of Innovation.
- Design and produce new materials based on literature precedent, consultation with scientific advisors, and prior research results.
- Accountability for technical deliverables and proactive, independent project management.
- Supervision of direct reports. Providing guidance and mentoring of technical staff, while maintaining a high-performing team-oriented dynamic.
- Maintain understanding of published scientific work relevant to core Conamix efforts.
- Assist in patent/literature searching, patent drafting, and preparation of grant applications as needed.
- Chemistry, Materials Science, or related PhD with 5-10 years relevant industrial experience.
- Demonstrated technical leadership and interpersonal skills. Prior experience managing projects and technical team members.
- Ideal candidate will have experience spanning both organic and inorganic material design and synthesis and will have a deep understanding of how molecular structure affects material properties and function.
- Prior knowledge of energy storage technology and materials for battery design strongly preferred.
- Excellent communication skills -- ability to succinctly present results and communicate complex material science concepts to technical and non-technical staff.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to execute on multiple projects and solve problems in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Generous paid time off package
- Health, life, dental, and vision insurance plans
- 401(k) plan
- Workplace perks such as snacks/coffee and flexible work schedules
Conamix is an equal opportunity employer.