Conamix is seeking a Senior Research Scientist to innovate with us! We are a start-up company developing advanced materials for lithium ion batteries and looking to make a big impact. Our dedicated team includes senior scientists, experienced management, industry expert board members, and professional investors. The Senior Research Scientist will play a key role in directing our research and development strategies alongside senior leadership. This position is based in Ithaca, NY, a quaint city known for its beautiful gorges and waterfalls and as home of Cornell University.
The candidate will have a proven ability to innovate and execute in the field of electrochemistry and materials. Career experience in Li-ion batteries is a must, with a track record of solving difficult technical problems through innovation and rigorous R&D execution. This position will involve both lab work and supervision of direct reports up to a PhD level. This role reports to the Vice President of Research and Development.
- Accountability for technical deliverables and proactive and independent project management.
- Positive guidance and mentoring of technical staff, while maintaining a high-performance team environment.
- Design experiments based on physical chemical principles, literature review, consultation with scientific advisors, and prior results.
- Analysis of materials using characterization equipment internally and in shared facilities.
- Maintain understanding of outside published scientific work relevant to core Conamix efforts and communication of results to team as needed.
- Assist in IP searching, patent drafting, and preparation of grant applications as needed.
- PhD with 5-10 years experience in electrochemical energy storage research. Ideal candidate will have experience connecting electrochemical data to Li-ion cell design, failure modes, and microstructure.
- Demonstrated technical leadership and interpersonal skills. Prior experience managing projects and technical team members.
- Expertise with electrochemistry and Li-ion battery technology (cell fabrication, cycling equipment, air-sensitive components, etc.).
- Hands-on experience developing and evaluating new materials in a lab setting.
- Ability to design efficient test methods for reduced learning cycle time.
- Experience and capability to present results and communicate professionally.
- Successful grant identification and grant writing experience preferred, but not required.
- Entrepreneurial attitude and willingness to execute on multiple projects and solve problems in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- Unrestricted right to work in the U.S., without need for future visa sponsorship.
- Generous paid time off package
- Health, life, dental, and vision insurance plans
- 401(k) plan
- Workplace perks such as snacks/coffee and flexible work schedules
Conamix is an equal opportunity employer.